Canyon Ranch knows how to dress up a plate of vegetables. The edamame is a smart addition; a star legume, this soybean offers complete protein, with all the amino acid building blocks, as well as antioxidants. Grapes add a sweet touch, and recent studies have suggested they may help stave off age-related macular degeneration.
• 1 medium zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)
• 1 medium yellow squash, diced (about 1 cup)
• 1/2 yellow or red bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)
• 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
• 3/4 cup seedless red grapes, halved
• 1 cup shelled edamame
• One 14-ounce can light coconut milk
• 1 cup water
• 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari sauce
• 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
• 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
• 1/4 cup prepared Thai red curry paste
• 4 Kaffir lime leaves
• 11⁄3 cups cooked brown rice
• 1/2 cup toasted pistachios, chopped
In a large bowl, toss together the zucchini, squash, bell peppers, pineapple, grapes, and edamame. In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the Coconut Sauce. Set it aside.
In a large sauté pan, sauté the red curry paste over low heat until slightly caramelized. Add the vegetable mixture and sauté until the vegetables are slightly cooked. Increase the heat to high and add the Coconut Sauce and lime leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and continue simmering until reduced by half.
Place 1⁄3 cup of brown rice in the bottom of each of four bowls. Evenly divide the vegetables and sauce among the bowls. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons of toasted pistachios.
Serving size: 2 cups
Protein: 14 g
Fiber: 8 g
Fat: 15 g
Saturated fat: 4 g
Sodium: 418 mg
Vitamin A: 929 IU
Vitamin C: 69 mg
Vitamin E: 2 IU
Zinc: 2 mg
Beta-carotene: 487 μg
Lutein and zeaxanthin: 2,328 μg
Credit line: Recipe from Eat Right For Your Sight: Simple Tasty Recipes That Help Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss from Macular Degeneration, BY JENNIFER TRAINER THOMPSON AND JOHANNA M. SEDDON, MD copyright © American Macular Degeneration Foundation, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.