A hit with guests at the Lake Austin Spa Resort in Texas, this recipe for macular degeneration has just enough heat to get your attention. This mosaic of multicolored vegetables—good for cancer prevention, heart health, and eye health—is doused in a pungent sauce before being tossed with fresh herbs.
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili paste
- 11/2 tablespoons sugar
- 11/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 11/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 11/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups mixed cut raw stir-fry vegetables (broccoli, bok choy, zucchini, onion, scallion, red bell peppers, carrots)
- 3 cups cooked udon noodles (9 ounces dry)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Combine the orange zest and juice, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chili paste, sugar, and vinegar in a bowl; set it aside. Combine the sesame oil and canola oil in a small bowl.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil mixture in a skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until they begin to color, about 2 minutes. Add the mixed vegetables and stir-fry until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the noodles and reserved sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Add the basil, mint, and cilantro; toss to mix. Serve hot; garnish with the peanuts.
Serving size: 3 cups
Protein: 14 g
Fiber: 7 g
Fat: 11 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Sodium: 608 mg
Vitamin A: 1,245 IU
Vitamin C: 41 mg
Vitamin E: 1 IU
Zinc: 1 mg
Beta-carotene: 93 μg
Lutein and zeaxanthin: 170 μg
Credit line: Recipe from Eat Right For Your Sight: Simple Tasty Recipes That Help Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss from Macular Degeneration, BY JENNIFER TRAINER THOMPSON AND JOHANNA M. SEDDON, MD copyright © American Macular Degeneration Foundation, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.