In May 2015, AMDF hosted a Healthy Vision blog party to celebrate the launch of our Eat Right for Your Sight™ cookbook. Bloggers were invited to share their AMD stories, and their favorite ingredients and recipes from the cookbook, and then connect it all together with #eatrightforyoursight.
Macular Degeneration is the leading cause of legal blindness in people over 55 in the Western world. Despite the number of people and families this disease impacts, there is still an overwhelming lack of awareness on how to slow the progression and live with AMD. We launched this blog party with the aim to spread awareness to a wider audience in a fun, and helpful way.
#EatRightForYourSight Blog Posts
Thank you to all of the bloggers who contributed to the #EatRightForYourSight Blog Party. Following is a summary of posts. Enjoy, share and, even though the blog party is officially over, if you would still like to contribute, grab a badge and tell your story about eating right for your sight.
- Veggies by Candlelight – Spinach & Kale Power Salad with Avacado Dressing
- Light Orange Bean – Sweet and Split Pea Soup with Mint and Clementine
- Jump Up and Kiss Me – Little Dancer
- Healing and Eating – Carrot Cumin Soup & Eat Right For Your Sight Review
- The Health Minded – How to Supercharge your Eyesight with the Best Foods
- Garlic + Zest – Kale Chips #EatRightForYourSight
- My Kitchen Craze – Succotash Ragout
- Spinach for Breakfast – Eat Right For Your Sight
- The Red Headed Traveler – Cookbook Review: Eat Right For Your Sight
- Eat Healthy, Eat Happy – Carrot-Cumin Soup #EatRightForYourSight
- She Likes Food – Macaroni and Cheese with Shredded Carrots + Cookbook Review
- Because… Food is Life – Smoked Salmon, Strawberry and Quinoa Salad
- Catching Seeds – Twice Backed Curry Sweet Potatoes
- Nourishing Matters – Spicy Udon Noodles
- Kelly’s Ambitious Kitchen – Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Cranberries + Goat Cheese
- Twisted Tastes – Healthy Vision Month Kale Greens and Garlic
- Mango & Tomato – Eat Right For Your Sight: Quinoa, Avacado & Grapefruit Salad
- Olivia’s Cuisine – Blueberry Frozen Yogurt and ‘Eat Right for Your Sight’ Review
- Little Spice Jar – Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms and Thyme
- The Art of Nutrition – Fun Eye Health Kids
- Fit BFFs – Eating Right For My Sight!
- Veggie Balance – Spiced Almonds
- Lisa G Cooks – #EatRightForYourSight
- Gluten-Free + Guilt-Free Nutrition – Eat Right For Your Sight: Banana Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie
- Recipe Fiction – Sweet Pea Guacamole and Bay Shrimp Pita Sandwiches
- The Harvest Kitchen – White Bean Soup with Kale
- Living Well Kitchen – Gluten free Crab Cakes
- Cookies or Biscuits – Eye Healthy, Asian Chicken Salad
- Sunny Vegan – Super Simple Spinach Salad #EatRightForYourSight
• Use our Blog Party badge and/or link back to the AMDF website
• Tag your post with #EatRightForYourSight
• Share, retweet and comment on other #EatRightForYourSight posts
HTML code to use on your Web page <a href="https://www.macular.org/blog-party" target="_blank" title="AMDF Blog Party"><img src="https://www.macular.org/sites/default/files/Badge1.png" alt="I'm Blogging for Eye Health, #EatRightforYourSight" width="280" height="280" /></a>
HTML code to use on your Web page <a href="https://www.macular.org/blog-party" target="_blank" title="AMDF Blog Party"><img src="https://www.macular.org/sites/default/files/Badge2.png" alt="I'm Blogging for Eye Health, #EatRightforYourSight" width="280" height="280" /></a>
HTML code to use on your Web page <a href="https://www.macular.org/blog-party" target="_blank" title="AMDF Blog Party"><img src="https://www.macular.org/sites/default/files/Badge3.png" alt="I'm Blogging for Eye Health, #EatRightforYourSight" width="280" height="280" /></a>
HTML code to use on your Web page <a href="https://www.macular.org/blog-party" target="_blank" title="AMDF Blog Party"><img src="https://www.macular.org/sites/default/files/Badge4.png" alt="I'm Blogging for Eye Health, #EatRightforYourSight" width="280" height="280" /></a>
Ways to Support AMD and Healthy Vision
How can you help people promote their eye health, overcome stigma, and pursue strategies to decrease the impact or reduce the risk of AMD?
• Share stories, tips, and personal experiences about eye health and living with macular degeneration to reinforce the shared challenges we face when it comes to managing our health and wellness.
• Get resources about macular degeneration and ways to keep your vision healthy:
o American Macular Degeneration Foundation
o Eat Right for Your Sight™
o U.S. National Library of Medicine
• Post an “I’m Blogging for Healthy Vision” badge on your blog and help spread the word about the importance of eating right to reduce the risk of macular degeneration and lessen the impact of AMD for those living with the disease.
• Like AMDF on Facebook for updates about the blog party.
Sample Blog Topics
Below are a few blog ideas and facts to help you get started.
• Do you have AMD or know someone who has been affected? How did it change your life? What impact has AMD has on your family?
• What have you learned about reducing the risk and impact of AMD?
• Make one of our Eat Right for Your Sight™ recipes!
• What’s your favorite ingredient featured in Eat Right for Your Sight™ that helps promote eye health? Does kale rock your world? Are sweet potatoes the sun to your stars? Post about it!
Connect with new ideas! Like us on Facebook
Get Inspired! Follow us on Pinterest
Sample Social Media Messages
• Macular degeneration affects more than 10 million Americans and is the leading cause of vision loss for those 55 and older. I’m showing my support by blogging about healthy vision #EatRightForYourSight
• Macular degeneration affects more than 10 million Americans. A diet rich in key nutrients for eye health may delay the onset and progression of age-related macular degeneration.http://on.fb.me/1F0Oudc #EatRightForYourSight
• I’m blogging to help prevent macular degeneration and reduce the stigma of living with eye disease. #EatRightForYourSight http://bit.ly/1AHK4m3
• Macular degeneration affects over 10 million Americans – know which foods can reduce your risk http://bit.ly/1JbWg3B
Some Useful Facts to Get You Started
• Macular degeneration is an incurable eye disease and that it is the leading cause of vision loss for those aged 55 and older in the United States. It affects more than 10 million Americans.
• Age-related macular degeneration is damage to or breakdown of the central part of the retina, called the macula. The macula allows us to see clearly and can result in the complete loss of central vision.
• There are two basic types of macular degeneration: “dry” and “wet.” Approximately 85% to 90% of the cases of macular degeneration are the “dry” (atrophic) type. Approximately 10-15% of the cases of macular degeneration are the “wet” (exudative) type.
• A diet rich in key nutrients for eye health may delay the onset and progression of age-related macular degeneration.
• “Proper nutrition is critical to eye health, and it’s important to know not only what to eat, but also how much.”
Have a suggestion for a blog post, questions about AMDF or general comments on the blog? Let us know by sending us a message. We appreciate your feedback!